Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
Whether it’s your first child, or you fourth, breastfeeding is A LOT of work! Here to help is a simple, yet effective recipe to maintain and increase your milk supply, and YOUR ENERGY! Ingredients like brewers yeast and oatmeal are powerhouses for milk production, and I’ve added some classic ingredients so you’ll actually enjoy eating them. This recipe is SO GOOD, you’ll be reaching for these cookies even when you’re not breastfeeding anymore!
• 1 cup butter or vegan substitute
• 1 cup golden or white sugar
• 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
• 4 tablespoons of water
• 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
• 2 -4 tablespoons brewer’s yeast - this is key!
• 2 eggs (I find that using 1 banana is a good alternative if you’re looking for a vegan option)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 3 cups flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
• 3 cups oats
• 1 cup of chocolate chips, or any other flavour chip!
• Preheat oven to 350°F.
• In a small bowl, mix the flaxseed meal and water and let sit for 3-5 minutes. It’s important that you let it sit because you’re waiting for the flaxseed to “activate”.
• In a separate large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar until it’s creamy or smooth in consistency. You’ll want to eat it - trust me!
• Next, add eggs to the sugar mixture and mix until combined.
• After this step, or 3-5 minutes, add the flaxseed mixture and vanilla to the large bowl. Mix well, until combined.
• Once the mixture is combined, it’s time to add your dry ingredients. Sift together flour, brewers yeast, baking soda, and salt into the large bowl. Mix thoroughly until combined.
• Finally, hand stir in the oats and chocolate chips. Now, put a couple of chocolate chips in your mouth. Yum! :p
• Using an ice-cream scoop or a tablespoon, scoop batter onto a baking sheet pan lined with parchment paper, a couple of inches apart.
• Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden. They may look a little “soft” but when you take them out of the oven, let the cookies sit on the tray for a couple minutes before you remove them. They’ll be the perfect consistency! Sprinkle some sea salt on top while they’re still warm if you want to be fancy ;)
Enjoy, Mamma! XO - B.
About B: Bisma Bhatti is the entrepreneur and baking goddess behind B’s Truly Couture Cupcakes©, The Cupcake Truck©, and The Cupcake Cafe©. She’s also an event planner and the Entertaining Expert on the Marilyn Denis Show! I’m obsessed with Bisma’s award-winning cupcakes and her café was the inspiration behind opening mine!